Monday, April 28, 2008

commitment

This week I had two opportunities to see some amateur entertainment and I came away with a stunning revelation. In fairness, it is not new, but it was re-affirmed as I was reminded of the absolute necessity of one factor in all performance. This factor is often lacking in even the most high-paid performers and it shows itself immediately in those who embrace it. This element is commitment.

On Thursday night, we all got together at the local High School for an event I am never looking forward to. I would like to say I am bigger than this and that I always want to see my kids in whatever they do, but its just not true. I find the High School theatre to be cramped, claustrophobic and the people around me to not have the common decency to keep quiet while others are watching a performance. This year, my kids elementary school was putting on their rendition of Seussical the
Musical. My boy was either Thing 1 or Thing 4, there is some confusion on this. We had our kid's friends and our friend's kids in a number of the parts and there were few we did not know in the main parts. So, you will understand that I am not going to be identifying any of the players by either name or character. However, it must be said that most of the kids simply did not commit to their roles, to being on stage, to the fantasy they were trying to put forward. Some were horribly untalented and it made me wonder why they were given the parts. I am not trying to be mean, but if singing is not your thing, a bunch of solos will not help you grow. However, there were three kids in particular whose commitment greatly impressed me. They sold it and I bought it, I was with them in the world of Dr. Seuss and enjoyed their portrayals. Talent is not a factor, they were probably equally talented as some of the other kids, no more no less. But they really dug in and played the roles, sang the songs and danced the dances and I really enjoyed it. I won't disdain the production as much next year due to the performance of 3 individuals ...out of 140.

Then Sunday night came and my church was putting on a fund-raiser of lip-synching. I have to be honest, I really thought it was going to suck something fierce. But I love my church, I adore some of the kids who were performing and I wanted to support the HS group for whom the event was raising money. So, we arrive and I am absolutely stunned to see that a couple of hundred people are loading into the sanctuary for this performance, but we are a supportive bunch and maybe a little starved for entertainment. When the evening began with some kitsch by a couple of High Schoolers as hosts, I thought my worst fears would be realized. But, to my surprise, it was good. Not just the lip sync, but the hosting. I was impressed. And you know what impressed me the most? Commitment! I was particularly impressed with our Pastor doing the Sonny & Cher song, "I got you babe" (yeah, he was Cher and the ugliest woman I have ever seen). There were many stand-outs and I had a great time. My friends' daughter, Abby, did two numbers and fully sold them. Seriously guys, she has a future up on the stage if she wants one. The element which made this so great, in every piece which was (probably 80%, no joke)...Commitment! Each of these people let down their guard and committed to the performance and it made it really, really fun.

I have to tell you, one can change the entire outlook for someone else due to only their commitment. Our talents are fine, our ideas interesting, our work valued, but without commitment, it is meaningless. So, I guess what I want to tell everyone is just this, whatever you do, no matter what, no matter how big or small, seen or unseen, own it. Step in with gusto and give it everything you can. Because there is something amazing and appealing about that.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

i love this! I could read that last paragraph every day.