Thursday, July 17, 2008

solo

I am, by all accounts, an introvert at the least and a hermit at the worst. Which is not to say that I don't like being around people, it just drains me. I gain my energy from solitude. However, God says it is not good for us to be alone. I am seeing the benefit of this more and more in my life and this morning in Men's group we discussed it a little bit. I do not go to church to be seen, to be with others or (sorry Doug) to hear a message. I go to church because being around other believers makes my life better, easier, more complete. It is the same reason I go to Men's group. While I enjoy solitude, too much of it brings a sort of separation from reality. It always effects my thought life and my walk with God. Too much separation breeds in me an anger and a seeking after fulfulling my own needs instead of letting God fulfill them. We are God's hands and feet, metaphorically, and how He most often expresses His love is through others. What will you do today to be God's hands? What will I do? I genuinely hope to keep that as the first thought of my day, as long as I have days.

No comments: