So, I am doing a early morning study which includes an emphasis on prayer (and boy, was it cold this morning, when I went to check the temperature gauge said -6). I was troubled by many of the comments and realized that we need to define our terms. So, what does it mean? What is prayer?
Many of the comments today seemed to imply that I am only praying when I am the one speaking. Besides being incredibly self-focused (like saying we are only conversing at those times in which I am the speaker), it also flies in the face of scripture. 1st Thessalonians 5:6 states, "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you." How can I pray without ceasing, if prayer is only when I am speaking. It would seem to be an impossible task. Additionally, the phrase God's will is used, giving a special emphasis to compliance. God's will is a common phrase for Christian speech, but not a very common phrase scripturally.
For what its worth, I believe that prayer is really a contact point. For electricity (power) to flow, there must be a conductible contact point. In this, there is a marvelous metaphor for life with God. The recipient must be conducive to that power, the power comes from elsewhere (not self-started)and there must be a contact point with the power source (prayer). So, to me prayer is a constant walking conversation with God, a recognition that He is there and an acknowledgement of who He is and what He has done. While there are very easily defined types of prayers (petition, praise, thanks, etc.), the action of prayer, to me, is just a realization of the situation we are always in. If He is there and He is not silent, as Francis Schaeffer famously said, is not listening a part of prayer?
On the other hand, some folks fall into an only listening problem. God created me, and you, and he loves us and values us. Even though He knows everything, He still wants to hear from us. Making your petition known to God does not assume that He does not already know what you need or want. There is joy and power in stating the truth as it is, to God who already knows. That can be done through petition, but also through praise and thanks for the things He is in control of.
Anyway, post any thoughts, whether in agreement or disagreement. I am really interested in getting your insight.
2 comments:
brilliant. YES. Amen. :)
I'm in agreement with you.
M
Post a Comment