Friday, January 18, 2008

More

Yesterday, on my beautiful bride's site, she spoke of the yearning for something more. This really resonated in my soul. I like to refer to myself as the world's biggest malcontent. I have a great wife, great kids, a good job, a nice house, all in all a pretty nice life. And, it is not enough. I like to think of this discontent as my soul's yearning for the perfect truth of heaven. I refer to it as a malaise which haunts me and I often wonder if it haunts everyone the same. I see people go through their days and they seem content and I wonder if I am not seeing their discontent or if this peace is really who they are. I also wonder if peace is the same as contentedness.

I firmly believe that the creative mind has a hard time being truly fulfilled, so it is not all bad that contentedness is not all its cracked up to be. I also remember the first moment of content I experienced was the first year of my marriage, during which I gained 60 pounds, so contentedness did not work out for me that year. I talk to friends all the time who ask the same question my wife did yeasterday, "is THIS all there is?" They do not mean it in a cosmic or eternal sense, but in a practical sense saying "isn't there more I could do?" Well, I believe there is. We are called to live life, and live it to its fullest potential. So, what does that mean?

When we have a good meal, do we look at it, smell it, taste it truly? When we read a book, watch a good movie, drink a good wine, do we experience it? For myself I can say, not always, not often, not much. But this is the opportunity we have everyday, to enjoy creation, both God's Creation and human creation. It only takes a few seconds more to truly enjoy things. I will try to do that, will you?

No comments: