Tuesday, August 12, 2008

early

I am up early this morning. We have started our new routine and I get up at 5:45 to get Zach up and help him get ready for his day. I do not remember things starting quite so early when I was a kid, but maybe they did. None the less, I am up earlier than I would like to be and preparing for my day. As I sit here, I am overwhelmed by the sense that life speeds by. Amazed by the pace of our lives, I realize that at any moment, I will wake up to my kids graduating from school, getting married, having their own kids and I will wonder where all the time went. I know this, because I feel it already and the kids are still pretty young. This is not an unusual feeling, everyone seems to feel it. So, I will commit to grasping each day, as it were, for the moments to remember. Moments are not the thrill of a good game, or the amount of money I earn, or the things I need to do on any given day. Moments are the real times, face to face with my kids, enjoying life. Moments are slowing down and catching the vision of beauty that the sky shows at sunrise or the look in my daughter's eye when I tell her how beautiful she is. Moments are laughing with Cathy in abject silliness. I want to live for the moment, because if I don't I will let them all pass by.

No comments: