Tuesday, February 19, 2008

oh the back

When my wife told someone I threw my back out this week, they commented "welcome to your forties!"

On Saturday, in a fit of gluttony, I decided to make Chex Mix (a decidedly guilty pleasure of mine). While putting away the glass mixing bowls, I felt something snap and an immense pain in my back. Also, I could not initially stand up. I wish I could say I was doing something manly, or at least playing with my kids, instead of the truth which is that I was creating butter-filled goodness to line my waist. It is hard to admit to doing something so mundane and then becoming a practical invalid due to a very insignificant maneuver. The pain is immense, but the shame is intolerable. A friend recently broker his wrist while "riding a rail" on a snowboard. Another friend threw out his knee on a mountain bike ride. I threw my back out while making snack food. Ack!

On another note....I ate the chex mix, it was yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dear wife told me about your back on Sunday...I hope it's feeling better today!! I have one of those dumb injury stories too. A few years ago I tore my ACL in my knee...now, that's the kind of injury you hear about when a football player has been tackled after a great play, or a skier has fallen coming down the slope at an incredible speed. How did I do it you ask? Stepping off our family room couch after using it to reach my window valence so I could dust it! How embarassing to be on crutches for weeks, and having people ask "Did you do that skiing?" And I didn't even have some yummy snack to eat while I was hurting...enjoy your Chex Mix!
Praying for a quick and complete recovery for you!