Thursday, October 6, 2011

Part 80

I was strung along by Philip for a few months, but by the end of the second month, the handwriting was on the wall. I was taking unemployment for the first time in my life and searching for the right spot to be a GM. I had pretty much given up on acting, though I still occasionally would act in something a friend would call about. My brother was running another restaurant company and had hired my former assistant and book keeper, Lisa, as his GM at an upscale Mexican restaurant called Rebecca's in Venice. They both asked if I would be willing to Maitre D' on the weekends for cash payment and tips. I agreed and soon was making $600 per week for working about 12 hours. There is something wrong with me that this was not good enough for me.

Cathy's pregnancy was clipping along and everything was going well. I continued to write but found myself in the same position of getting tired of my own writing and throwing things away before I finished them. This was a difficult time because I really wanted to be hired as a GM, though I never had been hired directly as a GM (Always promoted). A few months into this, and with my first born child's arrival rapidly approaching, I began looking at club jobs too. In September 1996, I began the interview process with a club in Long Beach called Jillian's. I had never spent any time in Long Beach and only knew the club because my predecessor at Renaissance had been their opening GM. They hired me as a "fast track" manager, colorful euphemism in the restaurant business which means "we don't like our GM, but don't know or trust you yet." They paid me $22,000 less than I had made in my previous job and less than I was making at Rebecca's, but the good news was they would over work me!

On October 16th, 1996, my wife delivered our son into the world. At 11 lbs 11 oz, he was a gigantic baby and a sight to behold. One week later, I began as the Operations Manager at Jillian's in Long Beach. It took no time at all to realize that the existing GM was unqualified, inexperienced and an easy mark. I tried to be nice about it, but I immediately worked to usurp his position. Jillian's was also all of the ick of the club business without any of the fun. I was working an average of 70 hours per week and driving an hour each way to work. I was basically an absent father for my son's early life and am thrilled that I was (and am) married to such a strong, loving, caring and wonderful person who gave him everything he needed in those first months (really about two years). On December 18th 1996, the company fired the GM and promoted me. It immediately went downhill. The existing staff hated me for usurping their friend and former boss and new employees were untrustworthy and soured by the existing staff. 1996 ended with promise, or at least perceived promise and a decision to move to the area to at least cut down my drive time.

No comments: